A healthy and hearty soup that’s quick enough to make on a weeknight and is great as leftovers!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Makes: 4 large bowls of soup
✓ This recipe has been approved by a Sunnybrook dietitian.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced and chopped
- 1 package of pre-washed spinach
- 1 can no-added-salt tomatoes
- 1 can white kidney beans or mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tetrapaks (900mL each) no-added-salt vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté chopped onions, carrots, and celery for 2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add canned tomatoes, canned beans, broth, and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, turn heat down to medium, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir to mix. Cover, and let spinach wilt for about 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and ladle into soup bowls, and enjoy with some crusty whole grain bread on the side!
- You can substitute spinach with chopped kale or swiss chard, or even frozen vegetables
- To enjoy a heartier version, purée this soup with a hand-blender after it is cooked