It’s time to hit the books! Here are 5 tips to help you avoid muscle strain, pain and aches throughout the school year!
- Use a supportive chair when sitting for an extended period of time. Sit with your back firmly against the chair
- If reading from a textbook on a table, it’s helpful to have it propped up. Prop it on another book, so that the neck doesn’t have to bend as much
- Take frequent breaks. Even the most ideal position should be changed periodically. This is especially important when using the computer (desk top or laptop) or mobile device.
- When using tablet for prolonged periods, try to have it supported on something, for instance a tablet stand. If using it away from desk and seated, use some cushions on your lap to support your arms.
- Stretch muscles that are getting sore or cramped from prolonged positions or repetitive computer work. Take a few deep breaths and then try the following stretches:
- Roll shoulders forward and back;
- Turn neck from side to side;
- Bend and straighten wrist; open and close the hand.